Sunday, April 26, 2015

Convergence Week 3 Review

WARNING: This review may contain spoilers!


Mediocrity abounds in another moderately entertaining week for DC 

Oh Diamond, I've heard many things about you, and most of it ain't good. Well this week I find out why: Convergence: Batman and the Outsiders has shipped late. Fantastic. Put that on top of another mediocre week of Convergence titles and you've got yourself a recipe for trouble.

Convergence #3 - "Time Bomb"

Issue #3 is a confusing gut-punch. I've already expressed my grief with the lack of introductions in this main title, so I'll keep it to a minimum. I've also previously addressed the art in these books. Therefore, you will not find that section in this review. Can't say much more without specifics, so here we go...

Plot
April 22, 2015 by DC Comics
32 page Comic • $3.99

Before we get any proper introduction to Deimos *sigh*, our heroes engage in a fight with a horde of Telos drones. The drones manage to capture Supes-2, but before he's taken out of the picture leaving us with an interesting dynamic of characters who would be utterly worthless against Telos' wrath, he's saved by Tom-Bats and Gray-2 in the Batjet-podthing. Unfortunately they are shit at pilot/copilot and the craft gets downed rather quickly. So welcome back to our incompetent heroes, everybody. Honestly, for those who have read Earth-2 and are really rooting for these heroes, this issue has to be a slap in the face.

So in other news, Telos is mad that the folks on Kandor aren't fighting. For some reason he doesn't send his drones to coax them into fighting like he did with Future's End-iverse. No, this time he must see to it personally. But not before another Jesus Christ Pose. So Flamebird and Silver Swift (or whomever, again *sigh*) don't want to duke it out, giving us the best panels of Telos so far when he decides to annihilate Kandor (or at least part of it). "Let this be a lesson. . ." he says. To whom? Who is watching Telos? Just you, that's who. Idiotic foreshadowing, check.

Now we come to the most confusing part of the book, where not only Skartaris, but also the masters of time and this whole vanishing point business. Just the whole thing, all of it, it's all a parade of unknowns. I'd love to learn more, but I know they'll never explain. It's like they're trying to drive new readers away. I'm sorry, I said I wouldn't... *sigh*Finally, the redeeming(?) part of the book, the death of Tom-Bats. I like the idea that if there were a younger Batman from a tangent universe, Tom-Bats would take the bullet if it meant taking out a bunch of villains. Now, I'm not sure if Tom-Bats has the same "I don't kill" thing going on as Prime-Bats, but it still makes for an interesting development either way. Plus, it gives us a couple really nice looking splash panels and a wonderful Joker/Telos moment. 

Verdict

The fact that my review looks like a sassy summary shows two things: 1) I'm tired. I've been awake for far too long, and the fact that I'm at work makes it a double whammy. 2) I'm unenthused and underwhelmed by this issue. Sure, stuff actually happens, so it's better than the first two issues in the series. However, I haven't found anything that connects with me. These are all characters I know nothing about and care for not at all. Sure I'm curious to see how it all goes down, but I think I may back out if the half-way point issue #4 doesn't deliver some relatively meaningful content.

What I imagine the shop owner thinks when he sees
the look on my face after reading a Convergence title.

Convergence: Swamp Thing #1 - "It's Not Easy Being Green!"

Art
April 22, 2015 by DC Comics
32 page Comic • $3.99

The colors picked for this issue are all very appropriate (albeit sticking a little too close to convention) for a Swamp Thing title, all very murky and dark with lots of muddy greens throughout. The characters look decent, although simple. My biggest gripe with the art is that Thing comes off looking more like a Frankenstein, with big sinewy muscles rather than mossy swamp matter. However, I will say that Thing's eyes are the most important part, with the green encapsulated orange orbs standing out so well, and they are ever expressive in this issue. In fact, Things face is what always looks good here.

Plot

Fairly simple plot to this one. Perhaps too much so. After an unnecessary, but not unwelcome reintroduction to the character (because we have the near identical character bio in the back), the Thing is faced with being disconnected from the Green while the dome is in place. I have several gripes here, but my biggest is at the end when Thing is reconnected with the Green. If Thing is on Telos, the same planet where Green Lantern-2 is, then how come the "Green" of Telos hurts GL-2 and not Thing? How come Thing doesn't notice the vast difference? My other main gripe is with the lack of events. I like the setup, but nothing happens. It's several pages of Thing hiding in a park, feeling pitiful. Not that great for storytelling. Finally, the Poison Ivy of Pre-Crisis Earth-One seems more apt to causing random mischief than saving the people of Gotham with her gardens. This makes me really sad. This was the one book which could have explored that side of Ivy in more acute detail, with Swamp Thing helping her in her efforts. Alas, 'twas not to be...

Verdict

This issue has its holes and its pitfalls with not much to help it back on its feet. It could have been a lot better, but overall it falls flat on its face. I would only recommend this if collecting all of the Convergence titles. 


Convergence: The NEW Teen Titans #1 - "Opposing Truths"

Art
April 22, 2015 by DC Comics
32 page Comic • $3.99

I'm very happy with the art in this one. Nice vibrant colors that aren't overbearing with appropriate highlights, shadows, etc. The artist makes sure to open each scene with a wide shot showing us our setting, then zooming in on the characters in action shots and close up face shots for dramatic lines. It all comes together for a very pleasing aesthetic throughout the book. The action shots appear to be a little on the mediocre side, though. Mostly just the two teams shooting their projectiles/lazers/what-have-you at each other, but there is one nice looking splash page when the Titans finally assemble. I also have to mention the cover art for the standard issue. BAM! ZING! *shimmer shimmer* It draws the eye. The colors pop. Now that is a cover.

Plot

The story is pretty mediocre as a whole, but this issue excels at giving readers insight on the personality of the characters and how they have evolved since the appearance of the dome. While some character's story being notably more interesting than others (I'm looking at you Beast Bo-*ahem*-Changeling.), the dynamics of the group are clearly outlined for the upcoming battle against Doom Patrol from another Earth. Other than that, there isn't much to talk about, and I believe that is where this issue fails. While the character insight is nice, it doesn't make a story in itself. The issue also dips into the action I would expect to find almost exclusively in the next issue (if the rest of the Convergence titles are held to be standard), leaving me wondering how the next issue will attempt to 'wow' readers.

Verdict

While I really did enjoy reading through this issue, I was still left wanting more story. I would have happily exchanged some of the mediocre action sequences for some more exposition into the characters who were left forgotten.




Week 3 - Final Thoughts

While I may still be enjoying the ride though some of these Tie-Ins, despite their multiple failings, I don't know whether the main title is actually worth my time. Sure I'll be curious as to how it all gets settled, but should I continue paying for a series concerning characters which I care nothing about? I may hop off the boat if Convergence #4 has nothing to keep me on board. Really curious as to what the New 52 chaps are doing. They aren't in the main series and they aren't in the tie-ins. So where are they? I thought this was all of DC. Anyway, I wish I would have picked up Convergence: Wonder Woman, because I've heard this was a great horror-esque story. Also, Convergence: Hawkman, purely because I'm developing an interest in the character. Finally, Convergence: Batman and the Outsiders would have been a great one to pick up considering it was on my pull list. Dang it, Diamond...
Convergence: Hawkman #1
April 22, 2015 by DC Comics
32 page Comic • $3.99
Convergence: Wonder Woman #1
April 22, 2015 by DC Comics
32 page Comic • $3.99
Convergence: Batman and The Outsiders #1
April 22, 2015 by DC Comics
32 page Comic • $3.99



No comments:

Post a Comment