Friday, April 3, 2015

Convergence #0 - "The God Machine" Review

Pretty, Informative, Maybe not worth the price... 

Looking at this one one the shelf, I was already wary of the $5.00 price, but I want to really dig in to this event. So I gritted my teeth and shelled out the cash. Spoiler: It isn't worth it. 

Convergence #0
April 1, 2015 by DC Comics
40 page Comic • $4.99 
Ok, the book is actually a decent introduction to the event. It clearly lays out the who, what, and where leaving us wanting to find out the how and why. It also features a couple of really cool splash panels of Mega-Zord Brainiac. (Yes, that is what I'm calling him. Although he really actually reminds me of Unicron from the Transformers animated movie. Then again, all giant looming figures in space kinda do...) 

Now I don't read Superman, so I may not have recognized all of the Brainiac versions or properly identified the different timelines on the Death of Superman splash page, but it does well to highlight the fact that EVERYTHING in the myriad DC multiverses is connected within this event. Which brings us to the saving grace of this $5.00 intro: At the end of the book, we are presented with a "Who's Who" index of all the universes that will be highlighted in the series. This is super helpful for folks like me who haven't been into comics for too long and may have missed some of these titles, arcs, and events. 

So all in all, my gripe still stands that $5.00 is too much for what little is presented. What is presented is pretty and informative, but on the scales of quantity and quality, the quantity scale is a little too light for my liking.



No comments:

Post a Comment